If your doctor has advised you to ease off the salt shaker, you might be wondering why. The answer is sodium, a mineral found mainly in salt. “Too much sodium in a person’s diet can increase their blood pressure, raising their risk for heart disease, stroke, and kidney disease,” says Lori Zanini, RD, CDE, author of Diabetes Cookbook & Meal Plan for the Newly Diagnosed.
Looking for ways to add flavor to your food without adding salt? Check out this video for 8 easy tips.
- Here are eight easy ways to add flavor to your food without adding any salt.
- 1. Citrus, like lemons, limes, oranges, and more - including the zest!
- 2. Vinegar.
4. Heats and other aromatics like curry powder, cayenne pepper, and paprika.
5. Fresh herbs.
6. Dried herbs and spices, including no salt seasoning.
7. Flavored oils.
8. Salt free sauces and marinades.